Should you filter your drinking water?
March is Water Challenge Month, where the focus is on ensuring everyone has access to clean water.
So often we think about the food we eat as the only factor that determines our nutritional health, however with a recommended 8 glasses a day of water, the quality of the water we consume is extremely important. With many pollutants in our waterways, do you know what's in your water?
According to the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines: “drinking water should ideally be, clear, colourless, and well aerated with no unpalatable taste or odours. It should contain no suspended matter, harmful chemical substances or pathogenic micro-organisms”.
Despite these guidelines, our water supplies come to us at the point of consumption with the possibility of many undesirable qualities. Some of the contaminants* that may make their way into water are:
- Aluminium – There are links between Aluminium & Alzheimer’s Disease. Aluminium also raises the acidity of water.
- Bacteria & Protozoa – Examples include E.Coli, Coliforms, Cryptosporidium and Giardia.
- Cadmium – Accumulates in the body over a long period & may cause stomach cramps, kidney & liver damage.
- Chlorine – Used for the treatment of water supplies to eliminate many waterborne diseases.
- Fluoride – The addition of fluoride to municipal water is banned in many nations but not Australia.
- Lead – Lead-contaminated water poses a serious health risk to all ages, including learning difficulties, behavioural problems, mental & physical retardation, hypertension, strokes & heart disease.
- Mercury – Can cause ulcers, skin irritations, dental problems, internal bleeding, liver & kidney damage.
- Nitrate – Linked to the use of fertilisers & or sewage contamination. Nitrate reacts with other chemicals & forms Nitrite within the digestive tract.
- Organic chemicals – Many of these originate from pesticides, weed killers, commercial & domestic waste.
- Pharmaceuticals – Include pharmaceutical drugs, ingredients in cosmetics, food supplements, other personal care products associated with recycled water and many other chemicals we may not be aware of.
Thankfully, there are solutions available to give your family the most pure drinking water possible, by filtering out any contaminants that can be detrimental to your health.
WHY DRINK FILTERED WATER
One of the leading water filters available is the ALPS system. ALPS Water Filters are a natural gravity fed water filtration system that is designed to remove all types of contaminants in tap water via a ten stage filtration process. The ALPS Water Filtration System employs Zeolite as the 2nd Layer of its filter cartridge. It has long been proven that Zeolite is highly effective in removing most heavy metals that may be found in tap water. Drinking fresh, clean, chemical free, structured, energised and alkalised ALPS water may give you some of these benefits* and more:
- Great tasting, clean water
- Less bloating due to removal of contaminants
- Increased bodily hydration due to micro-clustering of the water molecules
- Increased energy levels
- Better skin complexion
- Less stress and fatigue
- Better sleep
- Improved mental clarity and concentration
- Healthier digestion
- Improved circulation
The ALPS water filter represents a natural, simple, easily maintained and cost effective unit, that provides a consistent supply of clean and healthy drinking water, essential for general health, longevity and quality of life.
Assembly is simple along with a straight forward maintenance routine. All parts and components are inexpensive and readily available. Domes and cartridges are typically replaced every 6 – 9 months, depending on your tap water quality and quantity used. Mineral stones are generally replaced every 12 – 18 months. See our current specials on ALPS filters below.
If a more affordable system is required, we recommend the ecobud® Gentoo Filter which is created through the special filter system to produce 6 levels of highly effective filtration.
Gentoo's Life Water allows you to improve your health from the inside out. By clearing the water of all natural and man-made contaminants, you are left with an untainted substance brimming with nothing but the purest nutrients you need to live a healthy life.
- Cleaner and better tasting drinking water
- Neutralises pH levels in the water
- A showering experience removed of harsh chemicals
- Great skin, hair and nails.
Read more about Gentoo filters here
Clean water is the key to a healthy food supply and a healthy life. That's why at Best of Health we are dedicated to educating people about the benefits of clean water and providing solutions to the water challenge this month and beyond. We know you'll taste and feel the difference.
*as provided by ALPS water purifiers specifications found at www.alpswaterfilters.com.au
SPECIAL OFFERS ON WATER FILTERS FOR MARCH ONLY!
- 18 Litre ALPS Filter RRP $649.95 now $599
- 12 Litre ALPS Filter RRP $454.95 now $399
- Plus 10% off Gentoo water filters - see instore
March Water Challenge
Want to get involved? Here's some more info from WaterAid Australia:
To mark World Water Day on 22 March, we’re taking the fizz out of our drinks, giving our coffees a wake-up call and raising a glass to the one drink nobody should live without. Join us in drinking just water for the month of March to help make clean water a reality for everyone.
1 in 9 people worldwide don’t have access to safe, clean water. Water is essential for life and good health.
Drinking sugary drinks can have disastrous effects on your health. It can lead to weight gain, tooth decay and insulin resistance to name just a few of the known health issues.
While taking The Water Challenge, ask your friends and family to sponsor you along the way. Every dollar you raise will help some of the world’s poorest families get access to clean, safe water. Join up now, have fun and improve your health for a great cause.
Join the March Water Challenge here